Friday, November 2, 2007

Feminist Friday

Seeing as how this is my very first post ever, it should probably be a very anti-man, fem-nazi, scathing entry to set the tone for future Feminist Friday postings (ha! That was so alliterative!). Today, however, I'm not feeling it. I could write about this and how Britney et al. have made us all stupid and WHY DO WE CARE SO MUCH GAH, or I could write about how women are still f'ed in the workplace, but I really want to write about the woman in Iowa who took an ad out in the newspaper to sell her breast milk. I first heard about it on the radio this morning and was surprised that the morning show folks (who are mainly men) were so blasé about it: Breast milk for sale? Eh, whatevs! Let's play a trivia game instead!

Maybe I should (but I'm not) be all "fuck yeah! sell that breast milk, girl!," but it really just grosses me out. It's like...selling blood...that no one can or really should use...or, for that matter, WANT TO BUY. I mean, it's not sterilized, it hasn't been tested, and lord knows what she's got floating around in that milk. Not to mention that these women are donating their copious, ridiculous amounts of breast milk to Africa to feed skinny babies! And she wants $200? She says she hasn't received any offers, but there was one prank caller. Ha!