Thursday, November 1, 2007

UGA Storming the Field


How does UGA storming the field after their 1st touchdown against Florida reflect on the program and Mark Richt? I know there are some mixed feelings on this one. Many Georgia Tech fans over at the Hive are more than ticked. Richt is being called things such as classless, a loser, and a jerk. Fans on some SEC boards weren't happy about the action either, but the condemnation seems to be much less severe. At the AJC, rivals SEC coaches have weighed in on the tactic as well. The responses are mixed, but the majority seem to say it is probably not something they would do, but they don't seem to have a huge problem with the move.

This article condemns Richt, but my take is different. Even as a Georgia Tech fan, I find Richt hard to dislike and on the 2 occasions I have met I have been quite impressed. I can't say that I think his move would be right in all situations. But with a team that has lost 15 of 17 to an opponent that hasn't always had better talent, I do at least understand his thinking. The team has looked tight in the past against Florida and they most definitely did not on Saturday night. Plain and simple - the ploy worked and I don't have a problem with it.

Edited to add: I now feel like my argument is validated because Jason Whitlock disagrees with me.