Wednesday, December 5, 2007

GT Coaching Rumors


So I was going to make a post about candidates for the Georgia Tech Football job, but now I am just sick of all the rumors. A couple of days ago Will Muschamp was the favorite to take the job and message board rumors put the probability of him being the next coach at 80%. Then he was apparently rejected by the the Board due to his ties with the University of Georgia. If that is the real reason I don't know what to think. Last week we had the rumors that Rick Neuheisel was going to get the job - thankfully this hasn't happened. Charlie Strong, Chris Hatcher, and Randy Edsall are reported to have interviewed. Oh yeah - Jimbo Fisher and Bobby Petrino were mentioned as well. Yesterday I even saw a rumor mentioning Kentucky offensive coordinator Joker Phillips as a candidate.

Today, Paul Johnson is on campus interviewing according to Tony Barnhart at the AJC. However, some rumors are floating around that he is out and is going to take the SMU job (he also interviewed at Duke). Barnhart also says that Johnson may not take the job if offered and that if he does not Jon Tenuta is the leading candidate. But then another rumor says that Hatcher will again be considered.

I know I missed some of the "candidates" but this is all I can remember. Unfortunately Paul Johnson's agent isn't in the office today so I can't ask him what is going on. Maybe I should just wait until the official announcement so I don't drive myself crazy.