Friday, November 9, 2007

Feminist Friday


Ha! So earlier today I was writing this blog post in my head and realized that it might be a good idea to, I don't know, write it down. I typed up a few sentences (I got distracted) and emailed it to myself. A few minutes ago when I was attempting to get the document (my computer only has Word 2003, not 2007 like my fancy computer at work, so I couldn't get my precious sentences!), I noticed this ad in my gmail: Are-You-Ugly.com - Try the Ugly Blog Quiz. Take the Ugly Quiz, Free! Naturally, I took the quiz, only to get annoyed at the end because I couldn't access my results without filling out a survey. Now I'll never truly know if I'm ugly!

Anywho! I was perusing cnn.com the other day (I read it pretty religiously) and came across an article (which I cannot find now) about how putting on a few lbs. is actually not so bad. So I know the body image discussion is so overdone, but what's a girl (or boy) to think? Turns out that being a chubster is ok! I mean, it sucks that the fashion industry, the magazine industry, and the entertainment industry throw their anorexulimia ridden bodies and impossible diets in our faces ALL the time, and it's really no wonder that we (ladies and gentlemen) are a little obsessed with our bodies and how they look. Hell, I ate a Snickers bar yesterday afternoon, but that doesn't mean I don't look at myself in the mirror and wonder if my butt looks a little bigger. So! Moral of the story: Although we can read articles about how being a little overweight is ok (but geez, there is so much conflicting stuff out there), a lot more needs to be done before my 8th-grade female students aren't constantly obsessed with their appearances.